Create PDF

McWilliams-Smith-Rice House

Heritage Center
c. 1840s
102 East Main Street

A. K. McWilliams built this home during the 1840s. Mr. McWilliams was a merchant and his descendants followed in his footsteps in the area retail business into the fifth generation.

Amos Smith, foreman for Daniel Pratt's gin shop, bought the house from McWilliams in 1856. His son, George, purchased the house from his father in 1858. In the 1940s, the house was restored by John Rice and his wife, Otis, a descendant of George Smith. The small outbuilding to the left of the house (the "Little House") was built by George for his sons and attests to the belief that "boys and dogs belong in the yard."



Character Trait for September

IACC Eagle LogoResilience
Recovering from adversity.

Click the trait to see this month's Character newsletter (and a list of previous editions). For a list of all traits, or to view past newsletters, please visit the Prattville-Autauga Character Coalition website. To subscribe, please use our E-newsletter subscriber feature and be sure to "check" Character Coalition when completing the brief form.

Prattville16v13W