|Old Autauga County Courthouse|
Built to house governmental activities when the county seat was moved from Kingston to Prattville in 1868. High ceilinged courtroom on upper floor with county offices on the ground floor. The downstairs interior is now drastically changed, but upstairs has several features intact, including the remains of the public gallery in the courtroom. It was built by George Smith, occupant of the McWilliams-Smith-Rice House (the museum or Heritage Center). Look high above the front entrace to see "Courthouse 1870." The hood resting on the console in the middle of 7-bay long south side marks the lcoation of one of the original doorways. Similar hood may once have marked the entrance on Court Street. The service station was built abutting the west end of the building before 1924. The additional buildings were added in the 1950s.
|Character Trait for April|
Earning future trust by accurately reporting past facts.
Click the trait to see this month's Character newsletter. For a list of all traits, or to view past newsletters, please visit the Prattville-Autauga Character Coalition website. To subscribe, please use our E-newsletter subscriber feature and be sure to "check" Character Coalition when completing the brief form.