Prattville Male & Female Academy Site

Site of a two-story brick Italianate structure with a belfry/cupola, built in 1859 by Daniel Pratt, razed in 1929. The bell from the academy is now mounted on the metal platform. Nearby stone marker was erected in 1916 by United Daughters of the Confederacy to commemorate the Civil War unit, the Prattville Dragoons who marched from this site to join the war effort. The second marker was erected by the Sons of Confederate Veterans in 2002 and lists the names of unit members. The Dragoons unit was organized in the front room of the museum.


Prattville16v13W