| Prattville Manufacturing Company |
c. 1850, 1887, 1896
In 2002, one year to the day of the 9/11 tragedy, a fire destroyed two of the three buildings that once occupied this side of "Factory Street." These buildings housed the textile enterprise developed by Daniel Pratt. The building that is left, the "Picker House," was built in 1850. A long-demolished grading house was located nearby. Cotton was unloaded, graded or selected, then sent to the looms in the adjoining c. 1887 building. In 1896, the third building, a near mirror image of the second, was constructed. The business was, at one time, the oldest, continuously operating textile industry in Alabama.