Mayor Hosts Military and Civilian Guests in Honor of Military Appreciation Week
November 14, 2012
This morning, the City of Prattville was honored to host a contingent of military and civilian dignitaries and guests in recognition of Military Apprecation Week in the River Region. Our guests included Lt. General Fadok, Commander and President of Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base; Colonel Trent Edwards, 42d Air Base Wing Commander; CMSgt Garth Meade, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 42d Air Base Wing; Major General Sheryl Gordon, Assistant Adjutant General, Alabama Army National Guard; Colonel Sam Black, Commander of the 187th Fighter Wing, Montgomery Regional Air National Guard Base; Colonel Paul Knapp, Vice Commander of the 908th Airlift Wing, Maxwell Air Force Base; Lt. Colonel Jerry Lobb, Public Affairs Chief, 908th Airlift Wing; Montgomery Mayor Todd Strange; Air Univeristy Public Affairs Chief Amy Richardson, Montgomery Chamber of Commerce Manager of Military and Government Affairs Brenda King; Senator Bryan Taylor; Representative Paul Beckman; Councilor Jerry Starnes; Councilor Lora Lee Boone; Councilor Clyde Chambliss; and others.
Mayor Gillespie presented his mayor's coin to our guests in honor of their military service and/or civil service to our military.**
Mayor Bill Gillespie "coins" Lt. Gen. Fadok, presenting him with a Mayor's coin.
Maj. General Gordon looks on as Lt. General Fadok commented upon seeing that Mayor Gillespie had the "Core Values of the USAF" on his desk. Mayor Gillespie showed him that it was well read and a note is marked on the section entitled "Integrity."
Our guests moved on to Millbrook after leaving City Hall. All the mayors of the River Region will sign the proclamation by day's end. It was our privilege to host these hometown heroes and we thank them wholeheartedly for their service to our country and for our freedom. We will post the joint proclamation when we receive our copy.
We have a number of veterans currently employed by the City of Prattville and we wanted to take this opportunity to recognize their service to our nation! They are:
- Officer Jesus Abete (Police). U. S. Marine Corps, 7 years, honorably discharged at the rank of Sgt.
- Sgt. Gene Barber (Police). U.S. Army, 1985-1988 honorably discharged at the rank of Specialist 4.
- Officer Claude Bozeman (Police). U.S. Navy, 10 years.
- Edward Clinton (Sanitation). U.S. Air Force, 22.5 years, retired.
- Officer Eric Collier (Police). U.S. Navy
- Corporal Steve Davis (Police). U.S. Army
- Corporal Derrick Emmanuel (Police). U.S. Army, 15 years active duty. Alabama Army National Guard, 17 years (still serving, current rank is SFC).
- Gary French (Urban Management). U.S. Army, 1971-1978
- Officer Steven Geon (Police). U.S. Navy
- Trilesa Jackson (Police). U.S. Army, 1993-1998; Alabama Army National Guard, 1998-2001. Honorably discharged at the rank of Sgt.
- Investigator John Kemp (Police). U.S. Navy and Alabama Air National Guard.
- Lt. Pat Kowalczyk (Police). U.S. Air Force Reserves, 1984-2009, retired.
- Kris Culey (Leisure Services). U.S. Air Force
- Investigator Clint Lee (Police). U.S. Air Force Military Police, 1988-1992. Served in Desert Shield/Desert Storm.
- Teresa Lee (Mayor's Office). U.S. Air Force, 4 years, VA Air National Guard, 4.5 years TX Air National Guard, 1.5 years. Honorably discharged at the rank of SSgt.
- Walter Love (Sanitation). U.S. Army, 21.5 years, retired.
- Investigator Sean Malloy (Police). U.S. Army, 5.5 years. Alabama Air National Guard, 6 years
- David McLaren (Wastewater).
- TJ Mosteller (Urban Management). U.S. Marine Corps, 1992-1996
- Motor Officer Jeff Mulligan (Police). U.S. Army, 1982-1985. 101st Airborne Paratrooper, Air Assault Infantry.
- Sgt. Russ Nance (Police). U.S. Navy, 26 years and 9 months
- Ricky Piller (Wastewater). U.S. Army, 3 years.
- Leslie Redmond (Planning). U.S. Army Reserve, 1995-2000 honorably discharged at the rank of E-4.
- David Reese (Urban Management). U.S. Army, 1988-1993
- Travis Rodie (Fire). U.S. Air Force
- Councilor Jerry Starnes (City Council). Alabama Army National Guard, 18 years. 1 tour in Iraq, 2004-2005.
- Thomas Stewart (Fire). Currently deployed in Kuwait. U.S. Army Reserves, 4 years. Alabama Air National Guard, 4 years.
- Corporal Tom Tousignant, U.S. Navy on the U.S.S. Crommelin, honorably discharged as an Operations Petty Officer Third Class.
- Robert Van Valkenburg (Fire). U.S. Air Force, 20 years, 1972-1992, retired.
- Corporal Nolan Watkins (Police). U.S. Army, 3 years.
- Garrett West (Wastewater). U.S. Coast Guard, 3 years.
- Carl Wilson (Planning). U.S. Navy, Aviation Ordinance.
We got a few of our folks to give us photos.
Carl Wilson (in red).
Garrett West. Lt. Travis Rodie.
Leslie Redmond (2nd from left).
Edward Clinton (shown with wife, Esther, who also retired from the U.S. Air Force. She served 20 years.)
Teresa Lee being honored as Airman of the Year.
The City of Prattville is proud to have so many veterans within its ranks of employees. We want to extend our sincere thanks to all veterans for keeping us safe and free. Thank you for your service to our nation!
**A challenge coin is a small coin or medallion (usually military), bearing an organization's insignia or emblem and carried by the organization's members. Traditionally, they are given to prove membership when challenged and to enhance morale. In addition, they are also collected by service members. In practice, challenge coins are normally presented by unit commanders in recognition of special achievement by a member of the unit. They are also exchanged in recognition of visits to an organization.