Read Across America Celebrated at Primary School
March 3, 2009
The National Education Association's (NEA) Read Across America program is an annual reading motivation and awareness program that calls for every child in every community to celebrate reading on March 2, the birthday of beloved children's author Dr. Seuss. (For more information about the NEA or Read Across America, please visit their website.)
The purpose of Read Across America is to motivate children to read. Research has shown that children who are motivated to read spend more time reading and do better in school.
Mayor Jim Byard, Jr. reading to Mrs. Lambert's class.
Mayor Jim Byard, Jr. and the Prattville Police Department School and Public Relations Division (Lt. Wayne Barlow, Sergeant Skip Tallmage, and Officer T.R. Hope) spent the morning at Prattville Primary School reading to a number of classes. Off duty officer, Sergeant James Harry also read to two classes. Council President Dean Argo read to his son's class and offered to read to others, if the school needed him. First Lady Beverly Byard also read to her daughter, Marylise, and the other students in Mrs. Lambert's class.
Lt. Wayne Barlow reading to students.
Sgt. Skip Tallmage reading to students.
Officer T. R. Hope reading to students.
Council President Dean Argo reading to his son, Joshua, and the other students of Ms. Hodge's class.
First Lady Beverly Byard reading to Mrs. Lambert's class.
Sergeant James Harry. James came in while off-duty to read to students.
Prattville Primary School has an entire week of events scheduled for Read Across America.
- Monday, March 2nd - Mixed Up Monday. The children wore their clothing inside out and backwards. This can be seen in the pictures from the day's reading events. Their focus book was any Dr. Seuss book.
- Tuesday, March 3rd - Family Reading Night. It was also Top Hat Tuesday. The children wore their "Cat in the Hat" hats. Their focus book was Cat in the Hat/The Cat in the Hat Comes Back.
- Wednesday, March 4th - Wacky Wednesday. Students will wear their Read Across America t-shirts (this year's, last year's or a white shirt) and/or the craziest socks or two different socks. Their focus book is Fox in Socks/Wacky Wednesday/Foot Book.
- Thursday, March 5th - Sleep Day. Wear pajamas. This day will be an all day reading day! Their focus book is Dr. Seuss' Sleep Book.
- Friday, March 6th - Funny Food Friday. Their focus book is Green Eggs and Ham.