Cook-Gillespie House

c. 1870 & later
127 South Washington Street

Originally appears to have been built as L-shaped with 2 front rooms and central hall; extensively enlarged c. 1895. One of the earliest two-story dwellings in the historic district. The original rear kitchen has been connected by a covered hallway. Little is known about the Cook family, but the house was later owned by a Frazier family who took in boarders. The story goes that among their clients were a Mr. and Mrs. Higginbotham who were having marital problems which resulted in a divorce. Both continued to live at the boarding house, having separate rooms. The Frazier's daughter and Mr. Higginbotham began courting and later married and moved away. The house was restored by the Gillespies.