Voluntary Property Protection

There are various ways you can minimize the amount of damage or loss incurred as a result of flooding. These are called flood proofing or retrofitting and include such simple tasks as elevating a house above the level of any anticipated flooding. A number of methods for flood proofing your property are detailed in publications available from the Federal Emergency Management Agency or the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers. Many of these publications are available in the reference section of the Prattville Public Library or from the Prattville Planning Department.